Sep 14, 2020
Marilyn Tam, PH.D, took what she learned from a neglectful and
abusive childhood in Hong Kong to show that it’s possible to become
a successful and powerful woman. She is a Best-Selling author,
top-rated leadership speaker, and CEO/Founder of UsFoundation. She
is an advocate for diversity and inclusion in the workplace, and
her book The Happiness Choice gives reveals the principals
and tools she has learned to create big and badass life.
What You Will Hear in This Episode:
- Marilyn also formerly was the CEO of Aveda Corp., President of
Reebok Apparel and Retail Group, and Vice President of Nike Inc.
She also has been acknowledged by Inc. Magazine as one of the top
100 leadership speakers in the world.
- Marilyn came from a traditional Chinese family in Hong Kong,
where her parents gave her away and made her feel unwanted due to
her gender. Her upbringing gave her the skills to survive almost
everything, and she came to America by herself in search of a
better life and more opportunity.
- The key to imposter syndrome is to acknowledge it, keep going,
and to develop more tools that reflect back just what a badass you
- Marilyn’s book, The Happiness Choice shows how and why
happiness is crucial for success in all ways.
- Two takeaways of advice from myself and Marilyn:
- You don’t always need to stay loyal to a job that may not be
loyal to you.
- Learn everything you can from all the positions around you at
an organization. This will leverage your power and help you become
a more valuable player.
- “It’s about not only what we survive, but what teaches us to
- “I knew no one would pull me up, so I would pick myself up and
- “What can I do today to take one more step to do something for
- “Without meaning we have no joy.”
The Happiness Choice